I recently “reupholstered” a pair of shoes that were looking pretty tired. A while ago I had found this tutorial via Pinterest. The original tutorial is for a pair of Toms. My shoes are not Toms, but much more inexpensive shoes I picked up at Target. Their design is similar to Toms, but different enough that my process varies slightly from the original tutorial.
My materials consisted of my leftover upholstery fabric, fabric glue, pins, scissors, and matching thread and needle.
I started by sewing one edge of my fabric on my sewing machine in order to have a more finished look. I then roughly cut the fabric to the size of the back portion of my shoe. I then glued the fabric on to the shoe and placed needles in order to keep the fabric in place.
The next pice went on the middle portion of my shoe. The process was similar to the first piece. Except I cut out triangles to reveal the elastic portion of the shoe.
The last piece I placed was on the toe. I matched the sewn portion to the sewn portion of middle piece. I glued it in place following the shape of the shoe to the best of my ability.
I kept the pins in the shoe until the fabric glue had completely dried.
Once the glue had dried I found that I had not applied the fabric glue as evenly as I had thought. Which meant some of my fabric was not secured to the shoe.
In order to fix this problem I took my needle and thread and sewed the edges of the fabric to the shoe. This ended up being a painfully slow process because of the thickness of the shoe and the fabric combined.
In the end I think all the effort was worth it. Yet another project you can do with left over upholstery fabric 🙂